[Solved] Re: FC6 x86_64: Trying to debug Transgaming/wineHQ wine

On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 09:20 -0700, Phil Meyer wrote:
> Sean Bruno wrote:
> > I've been trying to use the Transgaming version of wine on FC6 x86_64 at
> > home recently.  Some games do play flawlessly, but I am running into a
> > baffling issue trying to install others.
> >
> > For Diablo 2, the installer will run and proceed normally until I need
> > to swap out disks and it attempts to pull data off of the 'play disk.'
> > The installer can 'see' the CD in the drive if I browse to it withing
> > the wine session, so the disk is definitely present.
> >
> snip
>
> Hal is another issue with Cedega.
> Its perfectly OK with Hal if you go ahead and put a 'fixed' entry in
> /etc/fstab for the CDROM.  That way cedega has a much easier time using
> it, ejecting during installs, etc.
>
> This is what I used to good effect:
>
> /dev/hdc               /media/cdrom            auto
> defaults,user,managed,ro 0 0
>

> That way both hal and cedega were happy.
>
> Put in a CD, type: mount /media/cdrom
> or Use one of the GUI mount tools.
>
> As for kernel tuning:
>
> I have these in /etc/sysctl.conf
>
> # Cedega Gaming
> kernel.exec-shield = 0
> vm.legacy_va_layout = 1

The combination of both the sysctl.conf modifications and fstab
modifications solved my issue!  Thanks for the guidance Phil.

I'm a little stunned that Cedega tech support didn't reply with this,
but I'll post this information over on a thread at trangaming.org in the
hopes that it helps others.

Sean