Re: password

Tim wrote:
On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 13:05 +0400, Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:

How can one setup a system to ask for the root password to get into
single user mode?

Well, you can harden a box, somewhat, against meddlers by setting a BIOS

[snip]

Of course, they can open the box and remove the hard drive to put in
another box, reset the BIOS to remove a BIOS password, or add another
drive, to get around restrictions of booting yours.  But that's not the
sort of thing someone could do to a PC in a public place without being
noticed.

The only secure machine is one to which physical access is restricted.
Any connections to the outside, including network or in some cases
even power, can result in compromise. Once you have accepted less
than full physical security you have left the world of security
and entered the world of insecurity. There are various degrees
of insecurity, but any "security" in this realm is of the relative
kind, i.e. more secure than some systems, but less than others.

Mike
Oppose globalization and other One World Governments like the UN.
You have found the bank of Larn.