Re: password

On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 13:05 +0400, Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:
> How can one setup a system to ask for the root password to get into
> single user mode?

Well, you can harden a box, somewhat, against meddlers by setting a BIOS
admin password, so they can't change BIOS settings without it, and
ensuring that the PC can only boot from your hard drive.  Also, set a
GRUB password, so they can't change boot up parameters without it.  I
tend to add another stanza to grub.conf for booting from a floppy,
though with a "lock" parameter, so a password is required to do so.
Unfortunately, our current version of GRUB doesn't let you boot from
CD-ROMs, nor other devices (that I'm aware of).

Of course, they can open the box and remove the hard drive to put in
another box, reset the BIOS to remove a BIOS password, or add another
drive, to get around restrictions of booting yours.  But that's not the
sort of thing someone could do to a PC in a public place without being
noticed.

It's quite effective at stopping friends from playing practical jokes on
you.

--
(This PC runs FC4, my others FC5 & FC6, in case that's important
 to the thread)

I read messages from the public lists.