Re: Prevent unknown users from using Internet

On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 08:45 +0100, bsnottum@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I am running fedora core 2 server with dhcp-3.0.1rc14-1.
>
> I would like to restrict Internet access only to those users that is
> given an ip-address from my dhcp server. The dhcp server only gives
> out addresses to nic's already defined in dhcpd.conf.

I'm not sure about a system as old as FC2, but iptables can filter on
MAC addresses.  You could list some rules for the same MACs as you've
programmed into your DHCP server.  You might even be able to modify your
DHCP scripting to dynamically change the iptables rules.  But I wouldn't
bother trying that unless you had to manage a lot of different MACs, and
ones that changed.

It'd only be a slight amount of restriction, users can change their MAC
addresses easily enough.

--
(This PC runs FC4, my others FC5 & FC6, in case that's important
 to the thread)

I read messages from the public lists.