Re: SD card reader (Winbond)

On Wed, 2007-02-07 at 17:30 -0700, David G. Miller wrote:
> I very recently researched getting the SD card reader on my laptop to
> read SD cards under Linux (of any flavor) and found out that the
> interface specification for SD is "encumbered" (patents, copyright) in
> such a way that it is doubtful that an open source Linux driver can be
> legally provided.

I have one of those multi-memory-card readers on my box, it connects to
a USB port.  The SD and Compact-Flash ports work fine, I don't have
cards to try out the other options, but I'd expect them to work.  It was
one of those plug in and use it experiences, no other work required to
get it going.

I was under the impression that the specs for SD (card and host) had
been generally released, at least for the non-secured use of them,
though I can see it was older specs released, and some encumbrances on
newer ones.

Having said that, your card-reader/adaptor is a host, and that would be
the thing that handles the SD card, your computer just has to talk to
the adaptor.

--
(This PC runs FC4, my others FC5 & FC6, in case that's important
 to the thread)

I read messages from the public lists.