Re: bugzilla advice.

On Wed, 2007-02-07 at 09:55 +0000, Ian Malone wrote:
> Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > I have been roundly scolded for not using bugzilla so let me illustrate
> > my current problem with this technique.
> <snip>
>
> > On the
> > other hand grip refuses to admit that the CD is available even though
> > its icon appears on the desktop. Again no error messages appear except
> > that the grip window shows nothing to play, so what bugzilla information
> > would be helpful.
> >

> <snip>
>
> In the case where there's no obvious diagnostic I'd quite
> often ask on the list first to see if people can suggest
> ways of investigating.  Other people have mentioned strace
> for segfaults.  For grip I'd suggest:
> 1. Checking the configuration, grip must be told where to
>     look for CDs (a minor annoyance with grip)
> 2. Run from the command line, specifying --device=DEVICE
>     (with DEVICE being your CD drive) and --verbose (see
>     man grip for others) to see if there's any more
>     information.
>
> --
> imalone
I have obviously provided a little confusion.  It is gnome-cd that seg
faults and I have sent the developers an strace.

grip which I run from the GUI controlling removable disks only needs %d
as the device designation. I have it now working by rerunning
system-config-soundcard and lying about hearing the test sound. Again
sound worked for everything but audio CDs.

--
Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>