Re: Boot problems (still) [SOLVED]

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007, zephod@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Mikkel,

I will try the --remap option. I have already tried hd numbers
all the
way up to 9 with no luck.

This sounds like the BIOS may not be giving it a number, unless you
boot from it. The fact that Grub does not see it tends to support
this.

I think you are onto something here. At lunch I went into the BIOS and
changed the priority of the drives so that my IDE drive is now the
first drive and the SATA drive is second. FC6 now boots. Yea!!

The strange thing is that I didn't change GRUB's device.map file which
still says that hd0 is /dev/sda and hd1 is /dev/hdk, meanwhile my
grub.conf file says to boot from hd0. (I had been experimenting with
diffferent settings and I need to go back and correct all this now.)
When I shut down FC6, it trashed my video memory (big horizontal
dashes all over the screen) and I had to power off but when I
restarted I used the BIOS menu to boot the Windows partition which
worked just fine. I will experiment some more tonight.

I have encountered this as well. Sometime between FC4 and FC6, how it paid attention to the BIOS settings changed. Looking at the settings, it should have never worked with FC4, but it did.

You wouldn't happen to have an Intel motherboard?

--
"Invoking the supernatural can explain anything, and hence explains nothing."
                  - University of Utah bioengineering professor Gregory Clark