Boot problems (still)

I reported this problem some time ago but I still cannot boot my FC6
disk. I have been poking around the GRUB source and I now have a
better understanding of what GRUB does but I don't understand this
problem.

I have 2 disks, one is a SATA disk that has Windows XP on it. The
other disk is an IDE that has my FC6 on it. When I try to boot to the
FC6 disk, the machine just reboots over and over again. I then boot
from the rescue disk and look at the partitions using fdisk.
Everything looks normal. The Windows stuff is on /dev/sda and the FC6
stuff is on /dev/hdk. /boot/grub/device.map contains:

(hd0)  /dev/sda
(hd1)  /dev/hdk

If I enter GRUB in interactive mode and do

# geometry (hd0,0)

I get the output I expect but when I do

# geometry (hd1,0)

GRUB tells me that there is no such disk. The reason GRUB won't boot
is that is fails the root (hd1,0) command in the grub.conf file.

I even re-installed GRUB

# grub-install /dev/hdk

with no problems but when I go back inro GRUB it still tells me there
is no hd1.

Can anyone give me somewhere else to look for clues? If GRUB looks at
device.map to figure that hd1 means /dev/hdk and grub-install is OK
installing on /dev/hdk, why doesn't GRUB recognize the 2nd disk?

Steve