Re: Boot problems (still)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tuesday, February 6, 2007 11:28 pm
Subject: Re: Boot problems (still)
To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>

> zephod@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > I reported this problem some time ago but I still cannot boot my
FC6
> > disk.

snip

> > Steve
> >

> Dumb question - does your BIOS know about the IDE drive? If not,
> then chances are you will not be able to boot from it. You may have
> to make space for the /boot directory on the SATA drive.

Not a dumb question at all and I think the answer is... maybe.

The IDE drive does not show up in the BIOS list of primary or
secondary IDE devices but it does show up in the BIOS list of hard
drives. Also, this BIOS (ASUS P5G2 Deluxe or something close to that)
can present a menu of devices that you can boot from and the IDE drive
shows up in that list. This is how I was booting this disk before with
FC5. This used to work and when I upgraded to FC6 it appeared to work
for a short while. The BIOS hasn't changed but GRUB went from 0.95 to
0.97 in the upgrade. I have been avoiding messing with the Windows
dusk since that the only way for me to communicate at the moment.

> If your BIOS does know about the IDE drive, running "grub-install
> --remap" may help. You may also want to try running "geometry
> (hd2,0)" and "geometry (hd3,0)" just in case the BIOS is skipping
> numbers when mapping drives.

I will try the --remap option. I have already tried hd numbers all the
way up to 9 with no luck.

> With the drive being /dev/hdk, it sounds like the drive is on a
> controller card, and not off the motherboard... Is this the case?

You are correct sir! Originally, I could not get the BIOS to see the
IDE drive when I connected it to the motherboard so I plugged in an
old IDE controller and hooked the drive up to that. This worked fine
for ~1yr.

Steve