Re: password

From: <linuxmaillists@xxxxxxxxxxx>

From: <linuxmaillists@xxxxxxxxxxx>

wrote:
>> I purchased a computer on ebay with Fedora core.  The
>> Fedora  core boots up, but asks for a user name and
>> password and I can't go any further.  The seller is
>> not helpful.  Is there any way I can get past the user
>> name and password.  This is a gateway computer.  The
>> computer is useless to me as it is. Bob
>
> Maybe the seller is the true owner and expects you to
> install your own OS.
>
> Do like the others said and install a new OS.

Maybe the machine is stolen and the true owner's identity
could be determined from the machine. It sounds fishy
that the previous "owner" could not help with the
password.

{^_^}

That is true or the owner really did sell the box and does not want the information accessed. The seller should have wiped the harddrive.

Either way I'd investigate the disk and inform the user if I could
find who owned it.

{^_^}