Re: Restoring FC6 to original settings...

Alex Miua writes:

Hi!

Thank you for your reply. The reason I want to do this
is that after installing some updates FC says that it
can't detect the soundcard anymore.( The soundcard was
working fine initially ) .

Is this a good idea?

No. It's like using a hammer to swat a fly. This is not some other operating system, where once you screw it up, you're boned. You do not need to nuke everything and start over, because of one broken update. Every update is reversible, and can be backed out, presuming that your filesystem is not completely hosed.

First of all, you need to identify which specific update screwed you up.

Then, it's a simple matter to back out that update (or a group of updates), reverting to the previous versions of the guilty package.

In your case, the most likely suspect is the 2.6.19 kernel update for FC6. If that's the update that screwed you up, the first thing to do is to file your particular details in bugzilla, recording your hardware details. This will keep the right parties aware of issue. File a bug against the kernel package, and attach the output of "lspci -vv", "lspci -n", and "dmesg" commands.

The next step is to go revert to the original 2.6.18 kernel. You should still have it installed, the update should not have removed it, only your default boot kernel is was set to 2.6.19. When you boot the machine, press Enter at the initial grub prompt, instead of waiting the requisite 5 seconds to count down. Scroll down and select the original 2.6.18 kernel, then press enter to boot it.

If that fixes your sound card problem, then it's a simple matter of changing your default boot kernel. You'll need to edit the file /boot/grub/menu.lst, and change the "default=X" setting. X is the number of the default kernel, with the first kernel listed in menu.lst being kernel #0. The original 2.6.18 kernel is _probably_ the second kernel listed in menu.lst, which would make it kernel #1; so changing "default=0" to "default=1" in menu.lst will reset the default boot kernel to 2.6.18. When editing menu.lst be careful to avoid any typos, which will have catastrophic effects.

But if the update that screwed you up was not the kernel update, then you'll need to do some detective work on your part and identify which update it was. Then, we can tell you how to back it out.

Thank you,
Alex
.--- Sam Varshavchik <mrsam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Alex Miua writes:

> Hello everyone!
> > If I want to "re install " FC6 with the orginal
CD's
> and restore the original settings of it, is there
> way of doing it ?
Define "original settings".

There are no all-encompassing, over-arching
configuration settings in Fedora, like the Windows registry. Each program handles its own configuration settings in its own way.

If you want to reinstall everything from scratch,
just run the installer and tell it to wipe all your existing partitions. Everything will get reformatted and repartitioned, from scratch.

> -- fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
To unsubscribe:

____________________________________________________________________________________ Expecting? Get great news right away with email Auto-Check. Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta. http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/mailbeta/newmail_tools.html