Re: LaTeX question about nested lists

Michael Hennebry wrote:
: > I'm trying to create a bulleted outline that goes deeper
: > than six levels.  The LeTeX "list" environment only lets
:
: That might be your first mistake, but it probably had predecessors.

Not sure what the mistake would be.  All "itemized" environments in
LaTeX ("enumerate", "itemize", "description") are built on the primary
"list" env.  Unfortunately they natively have even fewer levels (4),
but that can be tweeked, I think.  Until you run up against the hard
limit of 6, that is.

: > you go to six levels.  I've failed to find any LaTeX
: > packages that extend this or define a new environment that
: > is of arbitary depth.
:
: There might be a way to do it by lying about how deep you are.
: There might not be.
: My recollection is that there is a separate of variables for each level.

>From my reading, the "six deep" rule is fundamental to the
implementation of the "list" env in LaTeX and cannot be changed short
of a re-write.

: > Do any of you know of a solution, short of just "hand
: > indenting" the items?  Note: the items in the list must
: > have "bullets" associated with them that are different
: > for different levels.
:
: Since the package has only so many kinds of bullets,
: you will need a way to specify your own.
: Maybe you can get rid of the package bullets
: and begin each item with something that effectively becomes the bullet.

It isn't the number of bullets that is the problem.  It fact there is
a LaTeX package called "pifont" that lets you choose from a bazillion
different "bullets" at each level.  But, it too, ends up using the
primitive "list" env. in its internal implementation.  So after six
levels it gives an error message like "nesting level too deep".

The solution requires a package independent of "list" and that is
_way_ beyond my LaTeX capabilities.

That's what I'm hoping (against hope) that someone can point me too.

Dean