Re: Wi[r]eless security (was: Suspend bug)

"Andras Simon" <szajmi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

n 2/6/07, David G. Miller <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[...]
> Looks like I need to bump the priority on implementing WPA.

Is that such a major undertaking? I never tried to connect Linux
wirelessly, but just the other day it took me all of 5 minutes to set
up my router and phone to talk to each other via a WPA connection (3
of which went into trying in vain to configure what the router calls
WPA2 - so I went with WPA1). And I don't even know what all those
acronyms stand for :)
Andras
The AP I have wants an external radius server if I configure WPA. I have freeradius installed on my server so I just need to figure out how to configure it so my AP can use it. Once that's done, I then need to see if my laptop can connect to the AP using WPA. I don't have a good way of testing whether freeradius is configured correctly independently from having the laptop use it with WPA. Likewise, I have no way of knowing whether WPA on the laptop is configured correctly other than having it connect using my freeradius server. I'm expecting I'll have to spend some time debugging this setup.

If I only needed to change one thing, I wouldn't be as concerned. Changing two dependent things at the same time is usually a recipe for trouble. Be glad you didn't face a similar problem.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce