Re: VMWare repo

Dotan Cohen wrote:

Ah, I see. I thought that was considered messing with the kernel. I'm
a bit better with spark plugs and pushrods than with kernels and
modules.

I think my limousine, sometimes called a bus, has those. I live in the "city" and haven't owned a car in 15+ years. Yet, sometimes I wish I knew more about them than computers.

I installed the Player from the VMWare site, ran the vmware-config.pl
script and all is well so far as I can tell. I'm SSHing my vmware
files from my kubuntu box over to test it out, but that will take all
night (I can only get 400 kb/s over SSH for some reason, on two
machines with a router between them).

You may or may not have troubles running those on another machine. I don't use VMware player or VMware server. I use VMware Workstation and it has a nice cloning feature and it performs some "magic" if you tell it the clone will be run on a different machine.

If you have issues, give a yell and I'll try to help. Otherwise, the VMware forums are the place to go. Much more experienced folks than I over there.

In the meantime, I attempted to install VMware-server and found that
it conflicts with the player:

Yes, that is true. I believe that is mentioned in the release notes. But, I don't those things either. :-)

Should I remove the Player to install the Server? The only reason I'm
installing Server is for the Tools. Thanks for your assistance and
advice. I very much appreciate it, and I'll work hard so that you
don't need to repeat yourself again.

I would do exactly that. The nice thing about VMware Server is you can start a VM and then logout of your host OS and the VM will continue to run in the background.

Oh, I like repeating myself. It makes me feel as if I've said something useful.

Ed