Re: VMWare repo

Dotan Cohen wrote:
On 05/02/07, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Does anyone know of a repo where one could aquire VMWare player and
> tools for FC6? All the instructions that I've found for installing
> VMWare products involve messing around with the kernel, something that
> I'd rather not do.

Installing VMware products does not involve "messing around with the
kernel".  It does involve compiling kernel modules that VMware needs to
communicate with the "Virtual Machine" or as VMware would call it, the guest
O/S.

Even if there were a repo for it, the process of installing VMware from the repo would involve compiling the modules. So, the end result would be the same.

FWIW, if you want to install VMware products, my advice is to simply follow
their instructions.  It is probably just me, but I prefer to do the same
with the Nvidia drivers. I am fond of running "non standard" things when I
am more aware of what is going on.

I don't remember how I installed VMWare player on my Kubuntu box, but
I'm certain that I did not have to sess with the kernel. In fact, I
think I simply installed it via apt-get. If it's important to
somebody, then I can check.

Let me restate, *you* may have not messed with the kernel when running apt-get...but certainly in the process of running apt-get the "vmware-config" script must have been run. In that process, unless the modules "vmnet, vmmon" (and potentially others) supplied match the running kernel they must be compiled by "vmware-config". This process may be hidden from your view by "apt-get" but it does happen. I've been using VMware products since the 2.X days when there was no such animal as "VMware player" and I'm currently doing beta testing on Workstation 6.0 and nothing has changed. VMware requires modules that need to be compiled to match the running kernel. If the modules supplied by VMware don't match, they need to be recompiled and if *you* don't do it...then it is being done for you behind the scenes and being hidden from you. But, in any case the kernel itself is *not* being messed with. It is simply that modules need to be compiled to match the running kernel.... Yes, I'm repeating myself.

--
Sometime in 1993 NANCY SINATRA will lead a BLOODLESS COUP on GUAM!!