Re: password

On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 16:59 +0000, Alan wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Feb 1998 06:49:59 -0500
> "Robert Stevens" <stevens8136@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I purchased a computer on ebay with Fedora core.  The Fedora  core boots up, but asks for a user name and password and I can't go any further.  The seller is not helpful.  Is there any way I can get past the user name and password.  This is a gateway computer.  The computer is useless to me as it is.
>
> It depends how the previous owner configured it. If they set bios
> passwords you have a minor problem, if not set the BIOS to boot from CD
> and install whatever you want instead of the current system.
>
> Odd that the seller is not helpful, unless they don't know the password
> either which raises a few other questions....
>
> Alan

Although the above may be the ultimate answer, a more immediate thing to
do is when the list of kernels to boot ate on the screen, type 'a' which
will allow you to edit the line. Place a 1 at the end of the line and
hit return. You will boot to run level 1 at which you will be root.
Change the root passwd (with passwd command) and you will be able to
login as root and change all other passwds using the passwd command.
--
Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>