Re: Wi[r]eless security (was: Suspend bug)

On Sun, 2007-02-04 at 11:07 -0700, David G. Miller wrote:
Snip!
> Oh yeah.  One other thing I do is my AP is in my basement.  The basement
> walls are concrete with rebar so they do a good job of attenuating the
> WiFi signal.  Makes it even harder to crack my network on a drive by but
> someone on my neighbor's roof would probably still get a decent signal.
>
> I always like the saying, "Locks keep an honest person honest."  To this
> I add, "... or divert the dishonest person to look for someone with a
> weaker lock."

Hi, Dave,
	Have you confirmed the signal condition from your basement?  The WLAN
signal is very multipath capable, and the receivers for good systems can
pick it out of the mud with only about a 1db SNR.  That is about 10
times as sensitive as most Ham Radios, and about 10000 times more
sensitive than most AM or FM table radios.

	The technology is really amazing.

Regards,
Les H