Re: Dell's w/o OS - where?

On Sat, 2007-02-03 at 21:59 -0500, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Sat February 3 2007, Jamie Bohr wrote:
> > The Super Micro's we bought three years ago are dieing right and left.  We
> > are now buying Dell and quite happy.  Dell system we bought 5 years ago are
> > still running.
> >
> > My person opinion though.
>
> Well, I guess we're going to find out. We're an all Dell shop, and I'm
> hardware manager here. I've got plenty of dead Dells. I heard about
> SuperMicro over on the DPSedits list which is a video professional's list for
> users of the DPS Reality/Velocity editing system. People have been using them
> for years and I haven't heard any complaints, only praise. Video editing is a
> pretty intensive environment for stress testing, so that's why I chose it.
> Thanks for the input.
----
as hardware systems go, Dell makes systems that are as cheap as any but
they also offer better systems and I definitely think that the adage
'you get what you pay for applies' here.

I have few complaints about Dell and they are easy enough to reach on
the phone and get warranty repairs/parts and I haven't had any arguments
with them about repairs which I think inures to their credit. Also to
their credit, they have been extremely supportive to Linux - at least
with support for SuSE and Red Hat software, moderate in support for
Debian and interestingly enough, their software installs on CentOS
without any trickery at all (i.e. having to
'doctor' /etc/redhat-release)

Dell was strictly Intel until a few months ago and thus the market for
the AMD based systems has somewhat escaped them. I gather by the reports
that the newer Intel Duo-Core are in par if not outperforming the
AMD-64's these days but I leave that assessment to others that are more
knowledgeable about those things.

Anyway, I think Dell has been an asset to Linux and all of their
PowerEdge servers for several years now have been certified to work with
Windows and Linux.

BTW - Matt Domsch, Dell employee and author of dkms is also a member of
Fedora Project Board of Directors <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Board>

Craig