Re: Dell's w/o OS - where?

From: "Jeffrey Ross" <jeff@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "For users of Fedora" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Dell's w/o OS - where?
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 13:39:27 -0500 (EST)

> Someone posted here recently about Dell now making machines
> available for sale w/o an OS - I can't seem to find that post,
> nor any such machines on the Dell website. Probably a case of
> staring me in the face, but does anyone have a link handy?
> --
> Claude Jones
> Brunswick, Md, USA
>
> --

Go from the menu bar on Dell's website and choose "Desktops" and then
choose "open-source Desktops"  Dell only offers their so called "Advanced"
desktops without an operating system.

I customized one the other day and noticed that a monitor was
included in the "starting at" price but that you could select no monitor.
I was surprised, because often "starting at" doesn't include an
optional monitor.  So although they are "Advanced" desktop systems,
if you don't need a monitor, you can get one for considerably less than
the listed base prices.

I'd be interested in hearing how Fedora works on one of these.  I didn't
go through with the order because I just bought a new computer a few
months ago.  But it'd be great if these things play well with Linux... it's
a step on the road to being able to buy a Linux machine at the corner
computer store I hope.

David

Search for grocery stores. Find gratitude. Turn a simple search into something more. http://click4thecause.live.com/search/charity/default.aspx?source=hmemtagline_gratitude&FORM=WLMTAG