Re: Ubuntu founder doesn't "get" enterprise Linux

On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 19:44 -0500, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Feb 2007, Les Mikesell wrote:
>
> >> Look at CentOS Extras, CentOS Plus, CentOS Cluster Suite/Global File
> >> System.  Look at Scientific Linux customizations
> >> https://www.scientificlinux.org/about/customize.
> >
> > And White Box, now gone because it was not practical to maintain...
>
> But what about it was not practical to maintain?  Compliance with Red
> Hat's brand protection policy?  Or other aspects of the distro?
>
> I can't speak authoritatively to the question.  Can you?
----
perhaps 'not practical to maintain' with respect to whiteboxlinux is
because each round of updates that were released by Red Hat were slower
to come out of whiteboxlinux than the previous set of updates to the
point where you had to either rebuild SRPM errata/security updates
yourself of find them elsewhere.

whiteboxlinux was the result of one and only one person and with both
RHEL3 and RHEL4 + pressure to provide builds on various hardware
platforms and not just i386, the bandwidth to distribute all of the
updates, it became too much of a burden for John to carry. He is still
on the nahant list so you could ask him directly if you wish.

Craig