Re: Ubuntu founder doesn't "get" enterprise Linux

Martin Marques wrote:

If RHEL was closed, CentOS wouldn't exist. :-D

So I would say that Mark really doesn't know what he's talking about.

If RHEL wasn't closed, CentOS wouldn't need to exist. Please explain why I need to know the difference.

I'm starting to think that you don't get OSS.

As all src.rpm from RHEL are distributed under the GPL licence (all that is GPL). The difference with Fedora and alike is that they don't have it available for download.

Now, tell me how this makes it "closed software"?

The binaries can't be redistributed, the source must be modified before redistribution. Mark is perfectly correct and does not attach any such restrictions to Ubuntu.

Once again: If RHEL was CLOSED, CentOS CAN'T exist!

Saying it twice doesn't make it any more true. CentOS does what they do only because RHEL can't be freely redistributed as is.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx