Re: Ubuntu founder doesn't "get" enterprise Linux

On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 21:24 +0000, Alan wrote:
> > > It's not possible to "redistribute" Red Hat Enterprise Linux in that
> > > sense, because it isn't about bits on disks its a service, support and
> > > the like deal. How are you going to "redistribute" the telephone support
> > > service ... ?
> >
> > So what's the point of prohibiting the code and update redistribution?
>
> All the SRPMS are on the web site for free download by anyone. The
> binaries contain things like the Red Hat trademarks and logos that are
> associated with the Red Hat Enterprise Linux and the whole service and
> support deal, so you'd have to rebuild them anyway.
>
> The update service is exactly that a *service*.

I thought when RHEL started there was a matter of some its binaries not
being distributable because they were proprietary. Then Centos was RHEL
minus service and minus the proprietary binaries. Is that not still
true? Just asking.
A person who has nothing looks at all there is and wants something. A
person who has something looks at all there is and wants all the rest.