Re: nvidia drivers worth installing?

On Wed January 24 2007 12:41 pm, Robin Laing wrote:
> The nVidia RPM issue is frustrating.  I have had to remove the
> current driver to update to the new driver when a new kernel
> came out on my FC4 machines.
>
> Procedure was install new kernel, remove nVidia drivers
> reboot, install new nVidia drivers, reboot.
>
> I just tried the yum-utils and find that I could possibly
> download and install the drivers using this so I will have to
> play.
>
> It should be possible to install the new drivers along with
> the new kernel.

It is, sort of. It's actually better - dump the Nvidia from Livna
and install the ones from freshrpms - also, install the dkms
package. What that will do is automatically build a new
kernel-module for you each time you upgrade. You'll actually
watch it happen if you turn off the splash boot-up screen and
watch the text messages. I haven't installed a new kernel module
for many months now.
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, Md, USA