Re: nvidia drivers worth installing?

In article <45B79A57.2060301@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Robin Laing <Robin.Laing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mark Fraser wrote:
> > In article <loom.20070123T005722-276@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> >    Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[Snip]
> >> See: http://fedorasolved.org/video-solutions/3rd-pty-video/
> >
> > I tried the yum (pirut) way when I first installed FC6, but that
> > wouldn't work saying that the package was already installed when it
> > wasn't. So, I decided to try the Nvidia driver from their site which I
> > eventually got working, only problem is that everytime the kernel or
> > X.Org X11 changes I have to recompile it.
> >
> > If I was to try the official way again what is the best way of getting
> > rid of the other driver - the site above doesn't mention a method.
> >
> The nVidia RPM issue is frustrating.  I have had to remove the current
> driver to update to the new driver when a new kernel came out on my FC4
> machines.

I think I've managed to install the nVidia drivers from the Livna site.
There was some instructions on the fedorasolved website. I'm still not 100%
convinced I've got it right though, will have to take a more thorough look
when I get chance.

> Procedure was install new kernel, remove nVidia drivers reboot, install
> new nVidia drivers, reboot.

Think that's what I did apart from the first reboot.

BTW a good application to run to see if the drivers are installed correctly
is Google Earth. It also runs more smoothly with the nVidia drivers than
the preinstalled nv drivers.

|\  /| ark Fraser /mfraz2002@xxxxxxxxxxx