Re: How NSA access was built into Windows

On Tuesday 16 January 2007 00:13, Lyvim Xaphir wrote:
>On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 22:58 -0600, Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
>> On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 22:57:37 -0500
>>
>> Lyvim Xaphir <knightmerc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > Good question.  I'd like to find out about that myself.
>>
>> Hello, Everyone
>> I don't know if this is a full answer to the above question, but I
>> thought that I'd try running "yum remove *selinux*" just for fun.  See
>> the result at: http://www.afolkey2.net/Projects/selinux.txt
>>
>> For the impatient, the file referred to above says that I would need
>>
>> remove 979 RPM's:
>> > Transaction Summary
>> > ====================================================================
>> >========= Install      0 Package(s)
>> > Update       0 Package(s)
>> > Remove     979 Package(s)
>>
>> Here is the output of rpm -qa on my system:
>> http://www.afolkey2.net/Projects/rpm.txt
>>
>> It shows that 1,617 RPM's are installed on my system.  So, if I would
>> remove all *selinux* packages, I would have 638 RPM's left.
>> Unfortunately, I would have no kernel:
>> kernel                  i686       2.6.18-1.2868.fc6  installed
>>   44 M kernel                  i686       2.6.18-1.2869.fc6  installed
>>          44 M kernel                  i586       2.6.18-1.2849.fc6
>> installed          43 M kernel-devel            i686
>> 2.6.18-1.2868.fc6  installed          14 M kernel-devel
>> i586       2.6.18-1.2798.fc6  installed          14 M kernel-devel
>>        i686       2.6.18-1.2869.fc6  installed          14 M
>> kernel-devel            i586       2.6.18-1.2849.fc6  installed
>>   14 M
>>
>> I am not an expert.  I only submit this for the experts to interpret.
>>
>> Steven P. Ulrick
>>
>> --
>>  22:58:26 up 42 days,  5:06,  0 users,  load average: 0.18, 0.41, 0.44
>
>Wow.  That just pegged my absurd-o-meter.
>
>This is a little *too* difficult.  Now I'm wondering about rpm --force
>--nodeps.  Think I'll give that a try.
>

>LX

I believe you will have to build a generic kernel.org kernel, configured
without that support, something I have underway right now, using
2.6.20-rc4.  I was amazed at the number of options I found turned on that
a proper 'make oldconfig' should absolutely never have turned on.  My
scripts take care of everything but grub.conf for a kernel install, so
when its done all I should have to do is reboot since I'm already running
2.6.20-rc4.  Several things I found may even account for the apparent
slowness of later kernels.  Things like 15 seconds to launch firefox on
an xp-2800 athlon with a gig of ram?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)