Re: Ripping sound from videos with mplayer

On Sun, 2007-01-14 at 22:43 +0800, Chong Yu Meng wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 00:22 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> > Am I gone around the bend? Do I unlock this door with the key of
> > imagination when beyond it is another dimension? A dimension of sound? A
> > dimension of sight? A dimension of mind? Am I moving into a land of both
> > shadow and substance... of things and ideas? Maybe I have just crossed
> > over into the ...tWiLiGhT zOnE.
>
> OWWWW!!!! I absolutely loved that series ! I used to stay up late at
> night watching it on the communal TV when I was serving my National
> Service all those years ago !! The other soldiers in my unit thought I
> was completely nuts ! Good times, good times ...
>
> Anyway, back to your question: I don't know of ANY car stereo that can
> play mp3's. There may be in the US and Japan, but I certainly have not
> seen it in my country. Of course, I don't own a car either, so I may be
> wrong. I think what you need to do is rip it to an Audio CD, not mp3. I
> don't know how to do that, but I'm sure someone here does...

Oh boy... here's the rub. I cannot find k3m-mp3. I do find a bunch of
extras on the other repos. GREAT! I'm close to solving this thing.

1.) I followed instructions to rip the video files to get their sound
tracks, which resulted in .WAV files. I tested them with mplayer and
they play just fine. Hot-Hot-Hotcha!
2.) I opened k3b and started a new audio cd project.
3.) I drug those .wav files into the project area.
4.) I used k3b to convert them to mp3's from it's menu.
5.) It produced mp3 files that played back equally as well, after a
period of intense activity and graphic bars that crept to 100% showing
it was done. So, k3b did it's own thing, produced mp3 files that mplayer
played without a hiccup.
6.) I then tried to drag those converted files back into the "project
area" for burning to the CD.

It rejected those files saying it didn't recognize them, like a bad
parent that says "Those bastards aren't mine!" Well, k3b sure fathered
them!

I used the lame encoder in k3b's preferences. That's mp3 to me. I'm
getting a lot surprised nowadays though, so I make some room for that.

This gets better. I forgot to load those nice extras from the repos so I
set about to remedy that, per everyone's hints. Like Tim, I'm forgetting
stuff. <grins> so I figured I try ole Axel's joint and grab what I need.
yum --enablerepo atrpms install k3b*    --- I got this:

Error: Missing Dependency: libk3b.so.2 is needed by package
k3b-extras-nonfree
Error: Missing Dependency: libk3b.so.2 is needed by package k3b-extras
Error: Missing Dependency: libavformat.so.50 is needed by package
k3b-extras-nonfree
Error: Missing Dependency: k3b >= 0.12.16 is needed by package k3b-i18n
Error: Missing Dependency: k3b >= 0.12 is needed by package
k3b-extras-nonfree
Error: Missing Dependency: k3b >= 0.12 is needed by package k3b-extras
Error: Missing Dependency: libk3bdevice.so.2 is needed by package
k3b-extras-nonfree
Error: Missing Dependency: libk3bdevice.so.2 is needed by package
k3b-extras
[root@iam Desktop]# rpm -q k3b
k3b-0.12.17-1

I'll omit the /usr/lib listings that show that all of these libs are
present. Notice that a k3b >= 0.12 is needed and the last line there
shows I have k3b-0.12.17-1 installed, which is clearly >= . Or, am I
nuts?

I had problems yumming some of those libs the other night, as they were
not signed. I have gotten other stuff from there, yet I reinstalled the
atrpms rpm for yum to be sure, from their webpage. Then I just used
firefox to get the packages, and then installed a bunch of them by hand
(with rpm) That took well over an hour to do the dependency load order
hunt. But, I got it done.

I don't think I screwed up anything, my mileage could vary though. It
all looked OK. But, I do have the libraries installed that yum complains
of and a newer version of k3b than it asks for.

I am plainly befuddled and am approaching the tWiLiGhT zOnE ...on this
gibbering bobsled ride to Hell on greased rails. Tim! Move the heck over
<shoves on Tim> and save ME some of that oatmeal. I'm gonna have to get
used to it. I'll share the goat with ya. She's not BA-A-A-A-D!  Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net