Re: How NSA access was built into Windows

On Monday 15 January 2007 00:23, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Mon January 15 2007 12:06 am, Peter Gordon wrote:
> > The thing about Windows is that it is entirely
> > proprietary: Only Microsoft and select others can look
> > at the source code (and perhaps not even the whole of
> > it).
> >
> > SELinux, on the other hand, is entirely Free. It, like
> > other kernel/security projects, is scrutinized by a
> > great many (several hundred? thousand(s)?) developers
> > from around the globe; not just one owner. Had anything
> > similar found its way into SELinux, it would be quickly
> > removed and the committing developer removed from the
> > project most likely. :)
>
> I would think that you're right, but that's just
> surmising on my part. I did check just now for the
> supposed offending "ADVAPI.DLL" in the c: \windows\system
> directory on my XP vm that's running on this machine.
> It's not there - there's an advapi32.dll in the
> c:\windows\system32 folder, but, that certainly raises a
> flag in my mind about the article.

I clicked on the link that is supposed to tell you how to
replace the NSAkey and here is what I got.

Not Found
The requested URL /hottopics/msft-nsa/ReplaceNsaKey.zip was
not found on this server.

So I cleared that part of the address string to just
http://www.cryptonym.com/

and here is what I got

Yes, this is the website of Cryptonym Corporation (of
the "NSA Key" fame).

I hope to, sometime in the near future, put a brief
explanation the whole story online, so stay tuned...