Re: Cups broken and my stomach is upset - Anger Management in Action Danger! Danger! Will Robinson!

On Mon, 2007-01-08 at 09:04 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 08 January 2007 07:12, Ric Moore wrote:
> > Woof... I cannot REALLY start typing how I truly feel or I would be
> > lashing out in pure white hot anger and I've been taught to not do that.
> > So, FC6 and I are at odds tonight and I am venting about what just
> > happened. <being reasonable with a SMILE!> Right.
> >
> > I printed out some plain text documents for my project and then cranked
> > up gimp to print one graphic page for the cover of the Dvd that I am to
> > send. Well, what had been just plain ole working about a week or so ago,
> > started sucking in paper with one line printed saying
> > "%!PS-Adobe-3.0
> >          %%Creator: Print plug-in V4.2.7 - July 2004 for Gimp/Gimp print
> >
> > ... and then proceeded to suck and spit paper out onto the floor.
> >
> Hi, Ric.  I saw this problem once, quite a while ago.  I found that a print
> queue had been installed by hal, something like diskjet990-1.  That print
> queue always behaves like that, whatever app I print from.  Occasionally
> after an update I find that gimp is trying to print to that one again.  I set
> up the printer to use the correct queue, and all is well again.  HTH

Anne, what the heck is a print plugin from July of 2004 doing in here?
Yes, I noticed the notice that HAL did something similar to what he did
in 2001... attempt to kill his users. He's smarter now, he'll drive you
to kill yourself instead.

At any rate, what had been working perfectly less than a month ago, got
me laughed at by a fervent Windows user. LAUGHED AT! This cuts a brother
and it hurts. I thank my Creator the baseball bat was well away from me.
I might has lost it and it wouldn't have been on my friend. Who ever is
in charge of all things print, I hope the time is taken to get
everything running on the cups level, which was supposed to be the
be-all and end-all of all things to do with a !@#$$%^ printer. Or, as
Gumby would say, "DAMMIT!"

Just cups. Let cups do the work. Then we only have one problem to deal
with. No Hal dinking things up, printers usually stay connected to the
same machine. If I remove the printer, I know to configure the new one.
I Don't need some deamon wasting cycles peering full time at the port
for a new printer. I don't usually buy but one, every 3-4 years. Set it
and forget it, is MY motto. It's a good one. I really don't like my
system being laughed at because I use Linux. I got really really hot and
seething. If I could've used 4 letter words, the rant would have been
far FAR spicier. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net