Re: Cups broken and my stomach is upset - Anger Management in Action Danger! Danger! Will Robinson!

On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 08:12:10PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >> Yes, I really should have noted that Matthew.  But a far far better
> >> question is: "Why the hell isn't it in core?"  Is there some stupid,
> >> assinine even, reason to quasi-isolate it so from the users who need
> >> it most?
> >No. It's just uncompleted work.
> Oh?  I don't see any alpha, beta, or rcN designations in the rpm of 5.0 I
> have installed:
> [root@coyote ~]# rpm -q gutenprint
> gutenprint-5.0.0-0.16.fc6
> So to me, I'd look at that and say that's version 5.0 and is complete as
> of that version.

gutenprint sure is. However, packing it for Fedora and replacing gimp-print
is uncompleted work. And actually, that's indicated -- package release
"0.16.fc6".

> And I honestly do not know where I got it from now, that was weeks ago.
> >Since there will be no distinction between core and extras in Fedora 7,
> >presumably the issue will become moot very shortly.
> And your version of very shortly leaves many gnubie, and even some old
> hand users hanging out to dry for several months yet.

Someone else saw this problem, and did something productive about it. It was
too late for FC6, so they got it into Extras in the meantime exactly to
avoid the "hanging out to dry" you're complaining about. It would have been
nice if someone had done this earlier, but no one did -- and I certainly
don't see your name in the changelog.

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx          <http://mattdm.org/>