Re: I might be ready to give up...

David Fletcher wrote:
On Saturday 06 January 2007 22:25, Aaron Konstam wrote:

I am not as optomistic as the other posters. You did not tell us how
much RAM you have nor the speed of your processor but my experience with
a P3 500 MHz processor and 384 Meg of ram has not been stellar.

The writer of a letter to Linux Magazine claims he's had a distro called Puppy Linux running on a 166MHz P1 with 32MB RAM.

I've run Puppy, but not with 32MB RAM. The distro http://www.puppylinux.com/ claims to need 64MB of RAM.

From the site:

The live-CD is about 50-80M, yet "every" application you need is
there -- I'm quite serious -- it doesn't seem possible but it is.
> Furthermore, as everything runs in RAM, there are no delays and the
> speed is nothing short of astounding.

End Quote

Might be better to give something like this one a try. I run FC5 with no problems at all, but it is on a 3GHz P4 with 2GB RAM

I have myself run DSL http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/ on a 486 class
machine with 16MB of RAM and no swap file. This seems like a better
bet to me. With only 16MB, I had to run text mode only.

Puppy does have a unique ability to save itself to a multi-session
CD or DVD, so that one can carry around one's entire workspace from
machine to machine. Very intriguing. Not useful for me. But could
be considered as a laptop replacement, I suppose. No need to carry
the laptop around, just the CD or DVD. One boots up, does one's
work, and saves back. Take the disc with you. No need to install
or indeed to modify anything on the machine being used.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.