Re: [Fedora] Problems installing Fedora core 6

>David Vanfleet writes:
>> Hi,
>> I'm trying to get Fedora core 6 installed on my system and I'm having
>> some
>> problems. I got through the initial installation, got to the part where
>> it
>> tells me to remove the media and reboot the system to continue. When the
>> system reboots it locks up at the time that X windows starts (or shortly
>> after). I see the "X" curser for only a moment then it goes away and I
>> get
>> a blank screen and nothing else. I then booted up the system in "rescue"
>> mode and manually started X Windows without any problems (running
>> startx).
>> I'm upgrading this system from Fedora Core 4, which has been running
>> without problems for some time.
>>
>> Any ideas what could be happening here? Any help here would be
>> appreciated.

Generally, X crashes either because of mouse or video configuration.
FC6 uses a minimalist xorg.conf by default, and loads everything automatically.
If it works, good, otherwise you have to change it.
I would boot using any live distribution not based on xorg 7.1
(FC5, systemrescue-cd, knoppix, etc...)
and try to change xorg.conf.
If you use a LCD, do not connect it using a VGA port. Preferably,
use a real CRT while fixing xorg.conf.

I still have the xorg.conf generated when I installed FC6 from scratch.
Very small indeed, but completely different from the one I use now.

/Paulo Roma.

# Xorg configuration created by pyxf86config

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Default Layout"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"