Re: good command-line audio player for fc5?

Quoting Peter Horst <phorst@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Thanks very much - everything works when I su to root. The permissions
of the device in question follow - what is the rational thing to do
here? I don't want to include myself in the 'root' group, do I? And
what the heck is '14,'?  And 'c' as a file type? A few new ones on me...

crw------- 1 root root  14,    0 Dec 29 00:18 mixer

Part of the problem is that the permissions get change when someone logs in on the local machine. (Ssh logins do not count.) This is controlled by console.perms and is designed to give the person logged in localy control of specific devices, sound being one of them. Now, if you are loggind in at the console, and then ssh into the machine, the permissions are correct for you to play sounds. But if someone else is logged in, or no-one is logged in, then ther permissions are set to prevent what you are trying to do. (It used to be a common prank to to a remote login and play something on the machine when someone else was logged in...)

Mikkel