Re: good command-line audio player for fc5?

Thanks very much - everything works when I su to root. The permissions of the device in question follow - what is the rational thing to do here? I don't want to include myself in the 'root' group, do I? And what the heck is '14,'? And 'c' as a file type? A few new ones on me...

crw------- 1 root root  14,    0 Dec 29 00:18 mixer

Mogens Kjaer wrote:
Peter Horst wrote:
> Is there a good command-line audio player for fc5? I just want something > simple that I can use via PuTTY to play .oggs and internet radio streams. > > I tried a program called 'orpheus', but it stopped working almost > immediately ('cannot open the mixer device: /dev/mixer' and 'The ogg > player program has terminated.').

It could be a permission problem.

Check the owner and permissions of /dev/mixer when you're
logged in on the console and when you're logged in via
ssh/PuTTY.

Mogens