Re: Is NetworkManager working for you?

On Sunday 24 December 2006 09:26, Timothy Murphy wrote:
I'm running NetworkManager (NM) under Fedora-6 with KDE,
but am not entirely happy with it,

Ditto - what I suspect we need is something like IBM's access connections (on windows - yes I know) - its outstanding. I move my laptop between wired, wireless, static and dhcp, at work at several locations and at home as well as on the road (hotels, t-mobile and so on). I found NM lacking in my situation when I last tried (i have not looked at the latest version - maybe it can handle all this now)

My solution was to create a little sudo script to setup what I need then I bound them to a KDE little slider panel. Click panel - it opens i click icon for my location and it runs the script <location> - wired or wireless. Script updates resolv.conf, network settings and keys, DNS (if neeeded), ntp, sendmail etc. The scripts map the name given as an argument to a directory and uses whatever is in there - resolv.conf, ifcfg-eth0 etc. So quite easy to add new location info. This is simple and works for me. But I concur it would be nice to have something that is easy to set up out of the box and gives you control to set up the things that need changing - without having to know where to put keys.eth1 and so on.

That sounds good and exactly what I need. Could you post the script(s) please?

And maybe post them as a page at linux on laptops  (linux-laptop.net).

Geoff