Re: Any good check printing programs?

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006, Tom Horsley wrote:

As an exercise in getting familiar with the Qt 4 toolkit, I'm working
on a program that seems to be missing from all the linux money
programs I can discover (gnucash, kmymoney, etc). None of 'em can
print real physical checks worth spit (or even at all for some).

I figure I can just make this a stand alone program that prints
checks and generates .qif files at the same time, which I can then
import into the money program of my choice.

Does this sound remotely useful? Have I missed some program that does
a good job of check printing (quicken does, of course, but the point
is to get away from windows).

How about sql-ledger (www.sql-ledger.org), although that might be over kill.
But it is good at filling in preprinted checks. Printing your own checks is
too much of a hassel in the USA. You need to meet all of the various
requirements for magnetic ink in the correct places, etc.

Is it worth aiming to make this thing release quality, or should
I just stick with the learning exercise? :-).

Filling out preprinted checks is easy. Printing your own checks is IMO more
trouble than it is worth. Especially since today fewer and fewer checks are
being written. In my business we have written about 15 checks so far for 2006.

It is just too easy to pay on line for most transactions.

Regards,

--
Tom Diehl		tdiehl@xxxxxxxxxxxx		Spamtrap address mtd123@xxxxxxxxxxxx