OT Thin Clients

A friend of mine and I were discussing setting up a server to service our family members via a Thin Client from lap tops. While a thin client into a linux server at a command line level is no big issue, in this case the users must be able to log onto a gui interface level and use their personal desktop. After looking at things a bit it seems that it is possible for only one user at a time to log on to an xinterface, we had thought that it might be possible to connect to isolated workspaces, are we missing something in the process?