Re: OT Thin Clients

Norm wrote:
> A friend of mine and I were discussing setting up a server to service
> our family members via a Thin Client from lap tops.
> While a thin client into a linux server at a command line level is no
> big issue, in this case the users must be able to log onto a gui
> interface level and use their personal desktop.  After looking at things
> a bit it seems that it is possible for only one user at a time to log on
> to an xinterface, we had thought that it might be possible to connect to
> isolated workspaces, are we missing something in the process?

You normally run an X server on each client. The client acts as a X
terminal. You then set up the Linux server to accept multiple X
terminal logins. The desktop is an X client running on the Linux
server, and the X server running on the client displays it.

The terminology can be a bit hard to keep straight. The X server is
the part that handles keyboard/mouse input, and drives the video
output. It runs on the laptop client. The actual desktop, (KDE,
Gnome, etc) or windows manager (Blackbox, Fluxbox, etc) run on the
server system, and are really client programs, even though they are
running on the server system.

One thing to keep in mind is that the default display manager setup
will only accept connections from a X server running on the local
machine. You will need ot change that, as well as make sure the
firewall will let you connect. (How to do this has been covered on
this list, and is also covered on the Linux Terminal Server site.)

Mikkel