Re: OS Future now that Fedora Legacy defunct

James Wilkinson wrote:

> For example, the current development tree contains a kernel which
> handles parallel IDE drives the same way as serial ATA (SATA) is
> handled. This means that what was /dev/hda is now /dev/sda (or sdb, or
> whatever). This will break a number of setups, and mean that some people
> have to change their configuration files (usually the files they changed
> themselves). But it does promise better support in the future. Dave
> Jones, the maintainer, says he won't release this version for FC6 (or
> FC5), because it would break too many existing setups. But for FC7,
> people will expect to have to reconfigure a few things, and there may be
> support in the FC installer for "obvious" settings to be transferred to
> the new naming.

Well, you could always use the old kernel if the new one doesn't work.
(Quite a lot of distribution kernels don't work for me anyway,
on one or other of my machines.)

I think the OP asked quite a pertinent question,
and I don't think anyone has given a very cogent answer.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366