Re: OS Future now that Fedora Legacy defunct

> Or, trying the question one more way: When I run "yum update", as I do
> semi-sporadically, why do many packages on my FC5 box get updated so
> regularly -- they can't all be security updates (can they?)

Some are, some aren't. If a new version of a program comes out, and it's
not a major update from what was shipped, and it fixes non-security bugs
or adds new features, and it's not going to affect a number of other
programs, then it will probably be updated during a Fedora release. If
it involves rewriting configuration files, or dumping and reloading
databases, or changing the way things work, or doing a mass rebuild of a
lot of other files, then the Fedora developers will probably put it into
the development tree for the next version of Fedora (or the one after
that, if there's a version about to be released).

In general, "major updates are for new releases".

Hope this helps,

Thanks.  It certainly clarifies a lot... and it broadens the current
topic of discussion to include "what is it that people _expect_ out of
a Fedora release?"  The folks who are saying "Gee, maybe I should
switch to CentOS" should probably do that, given Fedora's stated goal
of a new major release every 6 months, and given the maintenance
requirements of supporting older releases.

--wpd