Re: Honey I blew up the USB ports

James Wilkinson wrote:
I'm not disagreeing with you, but the USB standard is *supposed* to
handle that [static discharge].
So, if your assumption is correct, either the USB plugs were substandard
in the first place, or enough current flowed to blow a fuse or break
something else.

My guess is option 1. The problem with a low-cost consumer standard like USB is that everybody cuts corners to save 0.2 cents per unit. I guess it's still better than $60 SCSI cables.

Is the system a laptop or a desktop? Was it connected to the mains
through a grounded power supply?

It's a white-box desktop, low-mid-range metal case. Maybe the metal shield on the socket isn't in contact with the case as you described. I certainly never checked that when I put it together.

The plugs are all three-prong but it's an old house and I can't say that I've ever tested the ground connections.

<Joe