Re: Honey I blew up the USB ports

Joe Smith wrote:
> I plugged my USB memory stick in the other night, and instantly froze my
> FC5 system. I mean bang--dead.
>
> The reboot went fine, journals all recovered fine (Nice!), but the
> system no longer responds to any device plugged in. No kernel messages
> at all. The stick still works in other computers, and the ports still
> don't work if I reboot into that other OS, so it sure looks like my USB
> ports are gone.
>
> All the kernel messages on bootup look ok, same as usual, no errors.
>
> Anyone else have this happen?

No, but where do you live?  You don't happen to live in an cold, arid area
where you walk around with a set of keys and use them to touch door knobs
during the winter months to keep from getting shocked all the time?

> Anything else I might try?

Run lspci and see if the "USB Controller" is listed.

--
"My daddy shoots people!"

	--Ralph Wiggum
	  Last Tap Dance in Springfield (Episode BABF15)