Re: Honey I blew up the USB ports

From: "Robert F. Chapman" <robert_chapman@xxxxxxxxxxx>

On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 16:40 -0500, Joe Smith wrote:
I plugged my USB memory stick in the other night, and instantly froze my
FC5 system. I mean bang--dead.

The reboot went fine, journals all recovered fine (Nice!), but the
system no longer responds to any device plugged in. No kernel messages
at all. The stick still works in other computers, and the ports still
don't work if I reboot into that other OS, so it sure looks like my USB
ports are gone.

All the kernel messages on bootup look ok, same as usual, no errors.

Anyone else have this happen?

Anything else I might try?

Anything I should look for when buying an add-on card?

<Joe

I haven't seen this issue before.  More info would help.

Motherboard: manufacturer/model/BIOS version
USB mem stick: manufacturer/model
Kernel version etc...

Heh, relative humidity and static electricity voltage might also make a
difference.

That sure sounds like he plugged in when there was a huge static potential
between him with the memory stick and the computer.
{^_^}