Re: installing libs from source

Brandon Rambo wrote:
hey all,
ok I may just be over looking something but I'm trying to install a lib required by this other program that I have downloaded... and i complie the lib (./configure, make, make install) and then use libtool to cp it to /usr/lib and when I do the ./configure on the other program it still says that i dont have it... am i missing something?

Possibly. You may not have the headers which define the API, or the .so file may be missing. Your config.log file should have more information.

See what got installed:
ls -l /usr/lib/libwhatever.*

...and make sure you have whatever headers are required. Did the library not have its own "make install" rule? It's almost certainly the best thing to do.