Re: FC6 VPN

Ric Moore wrote:

I used to use ssh and cipe to tunnel into my office machine, is this
like that? Ric

Not exactly - with ssh you have to specify every port to forward and
every destination address.   If you want something like cipe, look
at openvpn.

Right, I had a little script for that to specify the ports... the
network beenies set it up for me and my tired little brain. ssh had to
happen first, followed by cipe, with another script to transfer my Larry
Ellison's Finest (Oracle) from my machine in my cube at RH to my home
via a 56k modem. (this is back in 2000) If you were home sick, you still
worked... bless 'em.
Took awhile, for everything to transfer, but once it did it was almost
as fast as being in front of my office machine. It was all tab to next
box and fill-in the blanks crap anyway. The gui stayed pretty much the
same most of the time, so it didn't refresh much. Heck, I was more
secure than most bank transfers.
Imagine being in charge of the networks at RH. You'd be the best of the
best, or had better be with all the huge name developers there in one
spot. I was just a cut n' paste monkey with 800 emails staring us in the
face on Monday morning for user tech support requests... generally for
the same problems over and over and over again. Write once, paste many
many times. <chuckles> Ric

Actually the nicest 'work remotely' solution now is probably NX from
http://www.nomachine.com/.  You can download their free client for
various platforms and run either their commercial server or the
freenx variation.  It gives you remote X capability without the
lag on connections with low bandwidth or high latency and can run
over an ssh-encrypted link.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx