Re: OS Future now that Fedora Legacy defunct

On Thu, 2006-12-21 at 01:33 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 07:43 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 03:02:10AM -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> > > You might want to stick with Fedora as the announces also say that
> > > Fedora is to become static and meshed with RHEL in some fashion. Ric
> >
> > It is already meshed with RHEL in a pretty direct fashion. I don't think
> > it's going to become "static", though, although I'm not exactly sure what
> > you mean by that.
>
> That was the announce over a month or so ago. FC6 is it. End of the line
> of the fast paced devel cycle as I recall. There was a thread on the
> topic.
>
> <quote>
> "FC6 was the final release of Fedora Core.
> A much stronger software distribution and community project will take
> its place. There has never been a better time to get involved in the
> Fedora Project. Fedora contributors today shape the direction and
> accelerate the rate of progress of the entire FOSS ecosystem.
>
> There were many other things in the works discussed, but I for now will
> take a nap. Others will be blogging soon about these topics, and Greg
> will be updating the Wiki with details and action items." <end-quote>
>
> http://wtogami.livejournal.com/11707.html
>
> There you have it, Ric

Hi, Rick,
   I read the blog, and it said that Fedora Core was going to merge with
Fedora Extras (which is the way the DVD is packaged now anyway) and
become just Fedora.  In other words, the apparent plan is to put to
gether the OS, and a suite of tools to make the users computer useful.
I think this will make Fedora more attractive, especially if they get
the stuff all bound together so that all the chasing down of plugins,
dependencies and packages can be done prior to the new package being
shipped.  Also this should permit tighter control over the entire suite
of system and tools, enabling a distribution that will be more or less
autonomous and correctly configured at the outset.  This will displace
windows quite easily especially due to the hassels of getting windows,
the support costs, and the licensing fees and so forth that cause
windows to be one of the most hated OS's ever produced.

Regards,Les H