Re: mount LVM?

Dave Stevens wrote:
Quoting Matthew Saltzman <mjs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006, Dave Stevens wrote:

Quoting Markku Kolkka <markkuk@xxxxxxxxx>:

Dave Stevens kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika maanantai 18
joulukuu 2006 00:19):
It is
partitioned as a swap and /boot and /, with / as Linux type 83
(according to fdisk, which is correct). When I manually to to
mount / to the /mnt/hda directory I get:

[root@localhost ~]# mount /dev/hda3 hda
mount: you must specify the filesystem type
[root@localhost ~]#

When I "man mount" I don't see an LVM option. I have tried
googling LVM but both don't see the point and don't see how.
Why do you think that the partition is a LVM physical volume?
Type 83 is a regular Linux partition, a LVM volume should have
type 8e.
and it does, I misread the output but have now reread it. It is 8e as you
say.
Try following the advise in the error message and
specify the filesystem type (ext3 by default).
did so with this output:

[....]

I have started the LVM manager and there is a screenshot of what it finds
at:
hp.bccna.bc.ca/~aa056/ScreenshotofLVM.png

I only want to get the data off hda3 and I will then retire the drive.

Thanks for the reference to the tutorial, I'll read up on it.
What's the result of "ls -l /dev/mapper/* ?

[root@localhost ~]# ls -l /dev/mapper/*
crw------- 1 root root  10, 63 Dec 17 09:37 /dev/mapper/control
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 253,  0 Dec 17 17:38 /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 253,  2 Dec 17 09:37 /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol01
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 253,  1 Dec 17 17:38 /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol02

These three /dev/mapper volumes are your filesystems. I am in a system currently that does not use have an LVM except for a swap partition from the other installation that uses LVM for the swap and / partitions.

To mount the partition, you put the /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol information followed by the location to mount the device as below for my swap partition.

/dev/hda5vol/LogVol01   swap               swap    defaults        0 0

Sorry so brief an expalanation. This information should be in /etc/fstab. Usually the first entry is by label and then followed by mountpoint, followed by filesystem and so on.

Jim

[root@localhost ~]#

there....

dave

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs

--
Computers can figure out all kinds of problems, except the things in
the world that just don't add up.