Re: Javascript fails

Carroll Grigsby wrote:
> OK -- here's one that I visit when the weather gets unsettled:
> http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=RAX&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=yes
>
> It doesn't work -- at least for me -- with the Firefox package; all I
> get is a popup directing me to the Sun site. I'm in the process of
> tweaking a new install of FC6 x86-64, and being able to access the
> above page is on my to-do list.

That page says
     Java is necessary for radar looping and is best optimized using
     Java version 1.4.2 or higher.

It even puts "Java" in bold. So it's not talking about Javascript: as
has been explained, that is something quite different and unfortunately
named.

The version of Java in FC6 does not include a "sandbox", which would
limit Java applets' ability to do stuff like read your hard disk or make
new network connections. For this reason, it's not used for Web applets
by default.

So you will either need to use Sun's Java or something called
gcjwebplugin. More details are available at
http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/JavaFAQ#head-b241ab56b127581540c088f61c2905d37ecb54a9

I'd better stress again -- it is *not* *safe* to use gcjwebplugin on Web
sites you don't *fully* trust. At the moment, it only supports a
traditional Microsoft Internet Explorer-style "head in the sand"
approach to security -- it *assumes* that bad things won't happen.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | If infinite rednecks fired infinite shotguns at an
aprilcottage.co.uk | infinite number of road signs, they'd eventually