Re: Problem getting X up on a Dell Dimension 2400 with Intel 845G

Thomas Shubert wrote:
I have a Dell Dimension 2400 that I though I would screw around and setup Fedora 6 on to learn Linux. Well, I cannot get X to start. It complains: (==) Using config file: "etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(EE) I810(0): No video BIOS modes for chosen depth.
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration
I have seen other posts regarding this error and have taken corrective action to no avail. I upgraded the Dell's BIOS to A05 and I change the shared video RAM to 8 MB. I then ran system-config-display but it does not work. Any guidance would be most appreciated. Tom Shubert

Basically on a Dell with the Intel video, there are two video settings which need adjusted. The 8MB setting is for what Dell refers to as legacy video. The other setting is for shared video memory. I set mine to 64 MB on a low end Intel and set it to 128MB on the Dell computer.

Shared memory of 8MB is pretty low. I had to change the setting on a computer that had a SIS card to 64MB for it to work decent.

As a note: on a computer which has a low end Intel 815 video card, the modes for resolution are pretty susceptible to changes in resolution compared to performance in FC5. If changing the BIOS settings does not do the trick for you, it might be worthwhile to check upstream for reports regarding the i810 driver that relate to your problem. Fedora reports for the i810 were eventually resolved with bug reports in the distance past. These days the reports seem to get very little attention.

Jim

--
Preserve Wildlife!  Throw a party today!