Re: Audio input

On Fri, 2006-12-15 at 16:05 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> George Arseneault wrote:
> > At the risk of sounding dumb:
> >
> > How old is the phono-player?
> >
> > The reason I'm asking is because some of the older
> > players have a different style of pre-amplifier and
> > require a special input. (long time since I dealt with
> > this... I think it was called a "ceramic input")
> > Without the right input on your amplifier it would
> > sound very faint or possibly not be audible at all.
> >
> I thought the ceramic input actually gave a higher level input the
> the magnetic ones.

Speaking as a former member of the RIAA (boo! hiss!), yes, ceramic
cartridges did have a higher output level than the magnetic ones.
They weren't as responsive, however, required a MUCH heavier tracking
force and have a radically different frequency response curve (ceramic
cartridges handle midrange frequencies well but kinda suck at low- and
high-frequencies).

> In any case, the phono pre-amp also has to
> compensate for the response curve of the magnetic cartridge. This is
> why amps (used to?) have a phono input besides the aux unput - the
> levels and response curve is different between a phone-player and a
> tape deck.

"aux" inputs generally require both a higher level signal and do not
have frequency compensation built in (they expect a "flat" or "linear"
response).  "Phono" inputs expect a low level signal with an "RIAA"
compensation curve (only found with magnetic cartridges).

- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-        "More hay, Trigger?" "No thanks, Roy, I'm stuffed!"         -