Re: swap space in a file?

On Thu, Dec 14, 2006 at 09:50:01 -0800,
  Rick Stevens <rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-12-14 at 11:34 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> >
> > In FC5 I had problems with the swap file if it wasn't on the root file system
> > at boot time. My theory is that swapon was running before the other file
> > systems were mounted, but I never fully confirmed that that was the problem.
>
> Hmmm, on both FC5 and FC6, swap isn't turned on until the local
> filesystems are mounted so that shouldn't have been an issue.

The symptom was that on reboots the swap file wasn't used when it was
on a file system other than the root file system. When the file was on the
root file system it worked, and when I did swapon manually after the reboot
it worked. I even tried putting the swapon command in rc.local and I couldn't
get it to work there.

I haven't tried it recently since I did a repartition since I need that and
I have plenty of swap space in the swap partition.